HomeEscape highly prioritizes security and we take steps to actively fight fraudulent activity in the vacation rental marketplace.
Regarding reservation requests, owners can either accept payment through HomeEscape’s payment system or make arrangements directly with the guest. When an owner enables HomeEscape’s payment system for their properties, HomeEscape guarantees the security of the money transfer.
But when owner’s do not enable HomeEscape’s payment system for their property, HomeEscape only serves as a communication platform, and the reservation payment is made in accordance with the owner’s payment policy.
As a precaution, we recommend that you do not transfer funds by bank wire or personal check to an owner that you have never met before. On very rare occasions, accounts have bypassed HomeEscape’s filters and have created fake listings.
If you still decide to make a payment outside of our system, we recommend transferring funds by credit card or PayPal; they have fraud protections in place and they will be able to refund your money if necessary.
Here are some red flags to watch out for:
- An owner that has a nightly rate significantly lower than any other property.
- Property images that look blurry or unclear.
- The owner asked to send a check to a location under a different name or the name on the check does not match the owner’s name.
- An owner that only accepts a personal check for a reservation and refuses to be paid by credit card or PayPal.
- An owner that replies from a different email or address.
If the above occurs, please contact the HomeEscape security team so that we can investigate that account.
Additionally, if you find a property that looks really great but has no guest reviews – please exercise caution, it could be a fake account.
HomeEscape is here to help with any reservation before you pay and make sure that it is 100% legitimate.
Our team can be reached at 1-888-423-0002 or by email at support@HomeEscape.com.